B-Tip – cup dosing
Looking to take your workflow to the next level? Cup dosing is becoming an increasingly popular way of squeezing a bit more into those crucial minutes during a rush. This little workflow hack will allow you both to be fast and consistent – making it easy for you to weigh every shot even when the docket rack is full. This method may feel familiar to those who are used to running EK espresso; it’s an extension of that style of workflow. For those of us with years of grabbing group handles under our belts it may feel a bit weird initially as you’re breaking years of muscle memory; trust me though, it’s worth the effort. Before you get started though, there’s some prep you need to do:
To do list:
- Buy grind cup(s) – a simple stainless guy from a hospo store will do, or you can buy a cup from the likes of Artisan Smith which is designed to fit directly into your portafilter. It’s best to have at least two of these dosing cups.
- Buy jam funnel – depending on the cups you’ve bought you may need a jam funnel to help get the grinds into the portafilter. This method can also help with distribution.
- Equalise cup weight – this is easy enough; work out the heavier cup & add some material to the other one to make them weigh the same. Gaffa tape or blu tack work very well for small differences.
- Prep grinder – if you’re on a mythos you will need to remove the fork and set the grinder to run continuously. If this seems a bit daunting grab a Single O-er next time we’re in store and we’ll help you out. For our friends on a robur you can skip this step – cups will easily fit on the fork as it is :)
All right! We now have 2 cups that weigh the same, a way of easily getting the coffee into the handle & a grinder that is prepped and good to go. Time to start implementing this on bar!
- Tare grind cup on scales.
- Pop the first grind cup on the grinder and start grinding.
- Remove the first grind cup and check dose.
- Place the second cup onto the grinder and start grinding while the first dose is being checked.
- Place coffee from the first cup into the handle, distribute & tamp.
- Move the second cup ooff the grinder & onto the scales. Place the now empty first cup back on the grinder and start grinding while the second cup is on the scales.
- Check dose in the second cup, place coffee from the second cup into the handle, distribute & tamp.
- Repeat the process.
- Reap the benefits of killer workflow.
If this all seems a bit daunting or if you’d like to talk workflow, give us a buzz at the office to lock in a training session. Alternatively shoot an email to email@example.com – we’d love to help you out!